With nearly 2,000 immigrant children separated from their parents in just six weeks alone, there is an unprecedented human rights disaster unfolding at our border. The ACLU of Utah has created this resource page to provide information including action alerts and upcoming rallies and protests in Utah.
Families Belong Together
HOW TO FIGHT FAMILY SEPARATION The ACLU of Texas has put together a great resource page on how to help families and children on the ground at the border.
RALLIES, PROTESTS AND OTHER EVENTS:
Families Belong Together - Attend A June 30 Event! Donald Trump and his administration are cruelly separating children from their families. But we won't allow it to continue. On June 30, The ACLU is joining with our allies in Washington, D.C., and around the country to tell Donald Trump and his administration to stop separating kids from their parents! (Families Belong Together—Resource Materials)
Other Utah Events and Actions:
- Wednesday (6/20/18) ALL Day - Organized by our ally Comunidades Unidas Call-A-Thon to support immigrant families!
- Saturday, (6/23/18) 6 pm Keeping Families Together Vigil City Creek Park
- Wednesday, (6/27/18) 7 pm Unite Families Rally, Ogden Municipal Gardens
NATIONAL ACLU RESOURCES AND NEWS:
- ACLU Statement on Proposed Trump Executive Order on Family Seperation (6/20/18) In response to reports that President Trump will issue an executive order on family separation, Anthony D. Romero, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union, offered the following reaction...
- Fact-Checking Family Separation (ACLU Blog 6/20/18) Kirstjen Nielsen, Secretary of Homeland SecurityWith nearly 2,000 immigrant children separated from their parents in just six weeks alone, there is an unprecedented human rights disaster unfolding at our border. As public outrage mounts, members of Congress demand access to government-run facilities, and the United Nations condemns us, the Trump administration is attempting to shift the blame — fast.
- Utah Immigrant and Refugee Rights and Resources
- ACLU of Utah Know Your Rights Resources
- National ACLU Know Your Rights Resources
- Printable Know Your Rights - What to do if you are an immigrant stopped by law enforcement agents: English, Arabic, Chinese, Creole, Farsi, French, Indonesian, Korean, Portuguese, Somali, Spanish, Tagalog, Urdu, Vietnamese
- ACLU ACTION (6/21/18) Call Your Representative: Stop Speaker Ryan's Anti-Immigrant Bill - Demand a NO vote on Paul Ryan’s bill, which will continue separating families and turbocharge immigration enforcement.
- ACLU ACTION (6/20/18) Call Senators Hatch and Lee: Stop Homeland Security From Separating Children From Their Parents at the Border Your voice can help put an end to the Department of Homeland Security’s cruel and needless practice of tearing apart immigrant families.
- ACLU ACTION (6/20/18) Send an email to the Secretary of Homeland Security: Separating Families is Inhumane Stop separating children from their parents in immigration detention. This practice is inhumane, unnecessary, and unconstitutional
- ACLU OF TEXAS ACTION ALERT (6/30/18) HOW TO FIGHT FAMILY SEPARATION If you want to help migrant children separated from their parents by this government, here's where to start.
- MS. L V. ICE (5/30/18) The American Civil Liberties Union filed a federal lawsuit seeking to reunite an asylum-seeking mother and her 7-year-old daughter fleeing violence in the Democratic Republic of Congo, only to be forcibly torn from each other in the U.S. and detained separately 2,000 miles apart.