Thank you for your interest and determination in getting involved with the ACLU of Utah. We’ve put together some general tips, resources and ideas for engagement here.
Get Busy For Justice! Engaging with the ACLU of Utah
Remember, you can support the ACLU of Utah best by being our partner. We want you to work with us to protect and expand civil liberties in the years ahead.
We invite you to come to us with concrete ideas for community projects that you see a need for in your sphere of influence. We ask you to plan a training or event – find a location, arrange for logistics, invite the audience – to which we can show up and share the knowledge and expertise we have accumulated in our years of civil liberties work. We encourage you to get involved with other organizations – great groups doing solid work in Utah – with whom we partner and without whom we wouldn’t be successful!
If you are distressed by recent political events, take charge of your activism! Be bold and take the lead in your community. Get educated, get connected through solid social media connections, and respond readily to Action Alerts from the ACLU of Utah and others.
Despite the many challenges we anticipate in 2017, your enthusiasm, support and commitment are keeping our spirits high at the ACLU of Utah. We hope to work with you, consistently and often, in the months ahead!
GET & STAY EDUCATED ABOUT NATIONAL ISSUES
- National ACLU constitutional analysis of President-Elect Trump’s Proposals during the campaign
- Analysis of some recent political appointments and nominees by the new administration
- Blog of Breaking Civil Liberties News from the National ACLU about critical issues around the country
- Know your federal delegation and contact them with your views on important issues
GET CONNECTED TO OUR LOCAL WORK
- Sign up for ACLU of Utah Action Alerts
- Check our blog regularly for updates on our campaigns and explanations of key issues
- Follow us on Twitter, especially for live-Tweeting during the Legislative Session
- Like us on Facebook and check regularly for event information, links to news stories, and more. Encourage your friends to like and follow us, too, so that our message goes even farther.
- Write letters-to-the-Editor and editorials related to civil liberties issues in Utah
SIGN UP TO VOLUNTEER FOR EVENTS, TABLING AND MATERIAL PREPARATION
- Fill out our volunteer application. Let us know we can call you for help for one-time assistance with critical outreach tasks such as: making promotional buttons, being an ACLU representative at an event booth, helping out with a development event, marching in the Pride Parade, and more.
MAKE SURE WE STAY FINANCIALLY STRONG
- Become. A. Member. Numbers matter! Make sure you are a card-carrying member.
- Give ACLU donations and memberships as holiday gifts this year.
BECOME AN ENGAGED COMMUNITY LOBBYIST
- Visit the Utah Legislative website and learn how to use the calendar, livestream committee meetings, check out new bills, and more.
- Get to know your state representative and senator. Send them a text introducing yourself, ask them out to coffee to discuss your concerns, let them know you will be paying attention during the upcoming session AND that you care about civil liberties!
- Attend the ACLU of Utah’s Community Lobbyist Training in early February 2017 (details forthcoming)!
- OR Invite the ACLU of Utah to do a more targeted Community Lobbyist Training for your affinity group. If you plan it, we will show up and present! Organize a special Lobby Training to your church social justice committee, pick-up basketball league, PTA chapter, college activist group, ladies book club, whatever! We can even focus on a specific issue you care about that we are also working on, such as: death penalty abolition, civil asset forfeiture reform, expanding access to abortion, beefing up public records law related to police body camera footage, establishing Election Day Registration statewide, and more.
INCREASE KNOWLEDGE OF CIVIL LIBERTIES IN YOUR COMMUNITY
- Ask the ACLU of Utah to do an ACLU 101 presentation for your affinity group. Think that your Rotary Club, or law school student organization, or Sunday School class have some wrong ideas about what the ACLU is all about? Invite us in to chat with them and clarify the nature of our work. If you set it up, we will do our best to be there with enough notice, either an ACLU staff member or a member of our Board of Directors.
- Organize a KNOW YOUR RIGHTS training for your affinity group. Arrange an ACLU visit to your classroom, college cohort, work crew, youth group, or whatever to facilitate one of the following presentations: Know Your Rights When Encountering Law Enforcement, Know Your Rights When Protesting or Taking Part in Other First Amendment Activities, and Know Your Rights as a Public School Student
- Organize a special Legal Observer Training for your own affinity group. Don’t wait for us to invite you to a training – invite us to give YOUR training. If you plan it, we can show up and present! This is a great training for new community and grassroots organizations, activist groups, and students.