The American Civil Liberties Union of Utah seeks to hire a passionate and innovative Community Organizer to lead volunteer and organizing activities in support of organizational priorities in the Salt Lake and broader northern area of the state of Utah. We seek a person with a commitment to civil rights and civil liberties demonstrated through previous professional, volunteer, or lived experience.
Job Posting: Community Organizer
The Community Organizer is a full-time, exempt, & salaried position that will report to Director of Campaigns and work with the Campaigns team and other staff members across the organization.
Download this job description as a (PDF)
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
The ACLU of Utah is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer base with diverse personal and professional backgrounds and lived experience enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates an environment where all members of our community can thrive. We strongly encourage and greatly value applications from women, people of color, immigrants, persons with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, those who have been formerly incarcerated, and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups.
Position Overview and Functions:
The Community Organizer supports and coordinates campaigns and organizing events that connect the ACLU of Utah with community partners, ACLU members and supporters, and the public.
Under the supervision of the Director of Campaigns, the Community Organizer will execute the strategic plan of the Campaigns team, including efforts to reform the criminal legal system and end mass incarceration. Working directly with community members, the Community Organizer plays an integral part in connecting, educating, and organizing the community to protect and expand Utahns’ civil rights and civil liberties and achieve the goals of the ACLU of Utah.
Specifically, the Community Organizer will:
• Under the supervision of the Director of Campaigns, execute campaign plans using organizing skills & policy knowledge; this may include event planning, relationship building, facilitating community conversations, and activating ACLU supporters and volunteers to take action on a civil rights and liberties issue.
• Assist the Campaign Department in meeting volunteer recruitment goals;
• Assist in community volunteer training, development, and education;
• Assist in growing, developing, & maintaining the volunteer database;
• Develop high impact and regular programming to educate and engage ACLU members and volunteers and advance ACLU of Utah program goals and campaigns;
• Develop, strengthen, and nurture relationships and alliances with diverse communities, including communities of color, and historically marginalized communities to advance key ACLU of Utah issues;
• Plan, coordinate, and facilitate “Know Your Rights” training sessions and other educational programs;
• Work collaboratively with community leaders, allies, and ACLU of Utah staff to execute large and effective community actions (community forums, rallies, trainings, etc.).
Qualified candidates will have:
• Outstanding commitment to racial justice, civil liberties, and issues impacting historically marginalized communities;
• Excellent organizational, communication, and time management skills;
• Willingness and ability to regularly travel around the Salt Lake and broader Northern Utah area with mileage reimbursed;
• Willingness to work flexible hours and maintain a flexible schedule as necessary to meet the needs of the community;
• Ability to teach and educate others about nuanced civil rights and liberties issues;
• Experience speaking in public or otherwise communicating with large groups of community members;
• Experience training and managing volunteers, or similar management experience;
• Ability to listen to, communicate with, and learn from diverse audiences and community members through lenses of equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging;
• A strong commitment to diversity- a personal approach that values the individual and respects difference of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, ability, involvement with the criminal legal justice system, and socio-economic circumstance;
• Ability to regularly meet in person with the public, other organizers, and community partners, while following COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
Strong candidates will also have:
• 2+ years of experience with organizing and education, political campaigns, or outreach campaigns;
• Experience recruiting, organizing, and training volunteers;
• Experience working with NGP VAN, EveryAction, or other database and information organization tools;
• Ability to speak, read, and write Spanish.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
The salary range for this position is $45,000-$50,000 depending on experience. Excellent benefits include: generous paid time off, medical, vision, and dental insurance, and a 401(k) plan with employer matching contribution that vests after one year of employment.
Download this job description as a (PDF)
Application review will begin in November and will continue until the position is filled
Founded in 1958, the ACLU of Utah is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization that utilizes legal, legislative, and public education approaches to fight for individual rights and fundamental freedoms. Our mission is to defend and promote the fundamental principles and values embodied in the Bill of Rights and the U.S. Constitution, including reproductive freedom, immigrant rights, free speech, racial justice, privacy, religious liberty, LGBTQ rights, and more. For more information, please visit www.acluutah.org