Get involved with the ACLU of Utah to ensure constitutional rights and freedoms for all in 2017.
If you are distressed by recent political events, take charge of your activism! Be bold and take the lead in your community. Get educated, get connected through solid social media connections, and respond readily to Action Alerts from the ACLU of Utah and others. We want you to work with us to protect and expand civil liberties in the year ahead.
Despite the many challenges we anticipate in 2017, your enthusiasm, support and commitment are keeping our spirits high at the ACLU of Utah. We hope to work with you, consistently and often, in the year ahead!
BECOME AN ENGAGED COMMUNITY LOBBYIST:
- Visit the Utah Legislative website and learn how to use the calendar, livestream committee meetings, check out new bills, and more.
- Get to know your state representative and senator. Send them a text introducing yourself, ask them out to coffee to discuss your concerns, let them know you will be paying attention during the upcoming session AND that you care about civil liberties!
- Attend the ACLU of Utah’s Community Lobbyist Training in early February 2017 (details forthcoming)!
- OR Invite the ACLU of Utah to do a more targeted Community Lobbyist Training for your affinity group. If you plan it, we will show up and present! Organize a special Lobby Training to your church social justice committee, pick-up basketball league, PTA chapter, college activist group, ladies book club, whatever! We can even focus on a specific issue you care about that we are also working on, such as: death penalty abolition, civil asset forfeiture reform, expanding access to abortion, beefing up public records law related to police body camera footage, establishing Election Day Registration statewide, and more.
GET & STAY EDUCATED ABOUT NATIONAL ISSUES:
GET CONNECTED TO OUR LOCAL WORK:
SIGN UP TO VOLUNTEER:
- Fill out our volunteer application. Let us know we can call you for help for one-time assistance with critical outreach tasks such as: making promotional buttons, being an ACLU representative at an event booth, helping out with a development event, marching in the Pride Parade, and more.
MAKE SURE WE STAY FINANCIALLY STRONG:
- Become. A. Member. Numbers matter! Make sure you are a card-carrying member.
- Give ACLU donations and memberships as holiday gifts this year.
INCREASE KNOWLEDGE OF CIVIL LIBERTIES IN YOUR COMMUNITY:
- Ask the ACLU of Utah to do an ACLU 101 presentation for your affinity group. Think that your Rotary Club, or law school student organization, or Sunday School class have some wrong ideas about what the ACLU is all about? Invite us in to chat with them and clarify the nature of our work. If you set it up, we will do our best to be there with enough notice, either an ACLU staff member or a member of our Board of Directors.
- Organize a KNOW YOUR RIGHTS training for your affinity group. Arrange an ACLU visit to your classroom, college cohort, work crew, youth group, or whatever to facilitate one of the following presentations: Know Your Rights When Encountering Law Enforcement, Know Your Rights When Protesting or Taking Part in Other First Amendment Activities, and Know Your Rights as a Public School Student
- Organize a special Legal Observer Training for your own affinity group. Don’t wait for us to invite you to a training – invite us to give YOUR training. If you plan it, we can show up and present! This is a great training for new community and grassroots organizations, activist groups, and students.