The American Civil Liberties Union of Utah seeks to hire a full-time Community Outreach Fellow with community and civic engagement advocacy experience to build community connections and support coalitions to advance civil rights and civil liberties for all people in Utah.
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: The ACLU of Utah Seeks Community Outreach Fellow
Community Outreach Fellow
The American Civil Liberties Union of Utah seeks to hire a full-time Community Outreach Fellow with community and civic engagement advocacy experience to build community connections and support coalitions to advance civil rights and civil liberties for all people in Utah. This position is currently funded for one year; there is a possibility of extension depending on the availability of future funding.
Founded in 1958, the ACLU of Utah is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization that utilizes legal, legislative and public education approaches to fight for individual rights and fundamental freedoms including reproductive freedom, immigrant rights, free speech, racial justice, privacy, religious liberty, LGBTQ rights, and more. Based in Salt Lake City with a staff of nine, the ACLU of Utah has not only the opportunity but also the responsibility to protect and advocate for the civil liberties and civil rights of everyone in Utah. For more information, please visit www.acluutah.org
The Community Outreach Fellow will report to the Executive Director and work across departments to further the ACLU of Utah’s integrated advocacy efforts to advance our priorities at the state and local level. A significant portion of the Community Outreach Fellow’s time will be spent collaborating with and learning from impacted community members, community groups, and advocacy groups. The Community Outreach Fellow will be expected to work some evenings and weekends and travel across the state.
Position Overview and Functions:
In collaboration with the Executive Director and staff, the Fellow will be responsible for establishing and deepening relationships with a variety of individuals and organizations representative of local communities. The Fellow will develop and implement a plan to increase the ACLU of Utah’s connections with impacted communities, ACLU members and supporters, volunteers, allies, and the broader public; collect community input to shape our policy and litigation efforts; build and nurture an active base of community advocates who can be mobilized in furtherance of our policy agenda; and create a volunteer management program that empowers the community.
Specifically, the Fellow will:
- Identify key civil liberties and/or civil rights issues, aligned with the ACLU of Utah’s priority issue areas, through active inquiry as to community needs, interests and visions.
- Develop and deepen strategic partnerships with community-based organizations working in diverse communities across the state
- Help build and participate in coalitions by fostering, strengthening and nurturing alliances with potential partner organizations and targeted community groups
- Help develop and implement strategies to deploy ACLU of Utah members and supporters as effective advocates for civil liberties
- Speak publicly on behalf of the ACLU of Utah and assist in the coordination of speaking opportunities for other ACLU of Utah staff
- Plan and facilitate “Know Your Rights” and other trainings, including training others in the community to conduct similar types of trainings; and manage follow-up with attendees to assist and encourage them to take action
- Work collaboratively with grassroots leaders, allies, and ACLU of Utah staff to execute large and effective community actions (community forums, rallies, trainings, engagement with elected officials, etc.)
- Organize ACLU of Utah outreach and educational activities at public events and forums
- Train, coordinate, and manage a small but active volunteer base to ensure ACLU of Utah representation and engagement in local events and public education activities
- Act as lead coordinator for local iterations of National ACLU grassroots activism initiatives.
- Assist with drafting brief educational materials, flyers, and action alerts
- Prepare reports on engagement and outreach activities and outcomes
- Attend national ACLU training and staff conferences as required
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- Solid experience in community organizing or social justice advocacy, preferably on issues that fall within the ACLU’s strategic priorities;
- Experience working in/with diverse coalitions preferred;
- Personal involvement in the criminal justice system valued;
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, and goals with an understanding of the range of civil liberties, civil rights issues, and their implications;
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with diverse staff, coalitions, and community groups; to motivate volunteers; and to work across the political spectrum;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including public speaking;
- Ability to work effectively with lawyers and other professional staff; ability to articulate complex issues and to communicate to a variety of audiences; must be a “quick study” on a dynamic array of issues;
- Ability to work independently and keep organized in a fast-paced environment, manage several projects simultaneously, and adjust strategy to frequently changing demands;
- A commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, ability, involvement with the criminal justice system, and socio-economic circumstance;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to maintain orderly records;
- Valid driver’s license or driving privilege card required and reliable transportation- this position will involve extensive travel throughout Salt Lake City and the State of Utah;
- Proficiency in language other than English strongly preferred;
- Must be able to accommodate a variable work schedule, including nights and weekends.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
The ACLU of Utah offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package including paid vacation, medical, vision, and dental insurance, 401(k) with organizational match, life and short-term and long-term disability insurance, and generous time off policies.
Applications are being accepted until the position is filled
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals.